Closure and Rehabilitation
Mine closure is a comprehensive process that companies can implement at any stage of mining. Early identification and incorporation of closure objectives and principles can significantly reduce environmental and financial liabilities.
ECC provides closure planning services for the life of mine, comprising:
- Identification of closure obligations, commitments and legal requirements.
- Identification and management of key closure issues through completion of a formal risk assessment and development of risk management measures.
- Stakeholder consultation including identification of stakeholders, a stakeholder communication strategy and integration of consultation feedback into closure planning.
- Determination of post-mining land use and closure objectives.
- Development of site specific and measurable completion criteria.
- Development of a mine closure implementation plan, including planned and unplanned scenarios, care and maintenance plans and progressive rehabilitation scheduling.
- Development and implementation of monitoring programs to assess effectiveness of closure actions associated with the closure domains.
- Closure costing including provision of information suitable for submission to regulators, inclusion in Life of Mine financial models, feasibility studies and annual accounts compliant with international financial standards.
- Preparation of Mine Closure Plans for regulatory approval.
- Facilitation of technical rehabilitation earthworks design specifications and contractual documentation, contractor selection and award, rehabilitation earthworks supervision.
- Facilitation of mine site relinquishment.
ECC has an experienced team of environmental professionals able to support clients through all stages of the mine closure process.