Proponent: Marenica Energy Ltd
Status: Approval Obtained
Sector: Mining & Minerals
Environmental Compliance Consultancy (ECC) has been engaged by Marenica Energy Limited the Proponent to act on their behalf for the Environmental Clearance Certificate application for the proposed exploration activities for base, rare and precious metals, nuclear and industrial minerals on EPL3308, MDRL3287, EPL6987 and EPL6988 located in the Erongo Region.
As part of the proposed low impact, non-intrusive exploration project, the following activities are envisaged at each site, which shall be further defined as the exploration program is refined:
- Potential creation of access tracks, where existing tracks cannot be utilised;
- Limited vegetation clearing for the creation of tracks;
- Creation of exploration boreholes;
- Exploration methods may include aerial or remote sensing, electromagnetic (EM) surveys, drilling, mineral sampling; and
- Storage of exploration mineral samples.
EPL3308 is located in the Dorob National Park, and EPL6987 and EPL6988 are located in the Namib-Naukluft National Park. The impacts within the national park shall be thoroughly assessed and in particular, shall be reviewed against the National Policy on the Prospecting and Mining in Protected Areas recently passed by Cabinet, in particular, the ‘no mining and prospecting zones’. During the assessment process and in the event that part or any of an EPL is found to be within any of these zones, further engagement with all relevant stakeholders shall be undertaken.